Thursday, January 1, 2015

ARTIFACTS


By
Mary Anna Evans

This book came highly recommended by a fellow reviewer who had read and reviewed the book for her website.  Even though I have never had the privilege of visiting the beautiful state of Florida, I discovered that there was a place of beauty that drew me to wanting to visit this state far more than Disney World ever has.

Artifacts was more than a story of a young want-to-be archeologist in the backwaters of the coastal islands off the Florida panhandle.  It was a deep dive into the history of this little known piece of America, that has a history about as old as you get, when it comes to the settling of the Americas.  Ms Evans did a masterful job of immersing the reader into the locale of the islands and its’ people.  Turning the pages, I could almost smell the moss and seaweed on the pages and hear the ebb and flow of the tide as it moved in and out of the channels between the islands. 
Artifacts is about what life can still be like, away from the fast lane in the American South.  It is about mystery and the “piece of pie” that someone always wants that is not theirs to take.  But most of all, it is about home, the true meaning of home and the depth the meaning of home has to some people.  Ultimately, it is all about what it takes to keep and protect this place we call home.
It was with great disappointment that I found myself at the last page of the novel, for I was so far into the lives and story of the Faye Longchamp and her friends that I wasn’t ready for the story to end.  But, alas the mystery was solved and finished for the day.  It is my sincere hope that I will continue to discover more about Faye, her background and history with the other books in the series.
This book is an excellent read, well written, with a well-paced story line that keeps the pages turning at a fast pace, but still allows you to slow down and enjoy the places of discovery.  I give it a definite 5 stars on my list! 
I will be back for second helpings, Mary Anna Evans.  I have fallen in love with Faye Longchamp.
Karen Laird
Shade Tree Book Reviews and Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment